3.30.2006

There is a Fungus Among Us...

I hate fungus. It disgusts me so. I hate it in all of its forms...mold, mildew, and even shiitake. Pennicillin comes from a mold. I'm allergic to penicillin. Those brown mushrooms that we eat in pasta...I usually hand them over to a willing partaker. Out of all forms of fungus, I despise mold. Now, I know that mold is one of God's creations and it is necessary in this world for it's saprophytic qualities, but the thought of it makes me shudder....ew.

Today I had my own battle with mold. I fought the fridge and I think I won, for now. There were foods in there that were just unrecognizable. Some large lumpy white chunks, something that I think was once guacamole, and something that I think was chicken katsu.

Now, before you go on thinking that we're the most disgusting people and we live in filth, I have to explain how our fridge became a breeding ground for fungus. You see, when i was pregnant, I had this weird thing about smells...especially the smells emanating from our fridge. Padawanlee had no idea what it was that I was smelling, but every time the fridge opened, I had to gag a little. Therefore, for about 9 months, I didn't dare enter the fridge. So that meant Padawanlee had to do the cleaning of the fridge (which never happened...he would just point at things in the back of fridge, say "ew" and then laugh because it's been in there so long).

So yes, I have cleaned out some things that have been sitting in there longer than Baby Bear has been in existence outside and inside of the womb. Ick.

But the battle rages on...next battle: the mildew on the shower tiles.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carina? Matt? Man, I found you two on Cindy's xanga! Woo HOO!
Congrats on the cute baby! :)

Anonymous said...

To my defense, I have partaken in the task of cleaning out the fridge on multiple occassions. Perhaps not in the totality that Songwriterlee has undertaken, but I to have fought the fungi and I am not ashamed to admit that I have lost. So good luck Songwriter on your noble quest to vanquish the evil fungi from our fridge.

Anonymous said...

This has inspired me to clean out the fridge over here.

You don't like mushrooms???

Socalgal said...

great story.. no wonder you hate fungus.