9.06.2006

Lost Art of Conversation

A couple weekends ago, Baby Bear and I went to Hazelnuut's birthday party. I realized while I was there that I have lost the ability to converse with adults. Okay, so I'm not the most outgoing person, and I'm terrible when it comes to small talk. I just felt like I had nothing to talk about with anyone. It's not a bad thing, I just didn't know how to talk to regular adults anymore. All those years of practice, and I lost it in a few short months.

I don't want to be one of those moms who always start conversations with, "My baby did the cutest thing today..." I love my Baby Bear, but I try not to be a gusher. So naturally, I don't bring up Baby Bear as my conversation initiator. Unfortunately, when you're carrying an 8-month old around who loves social events, she initiates the conversation herself.

But then, what else is there to talk about besides Baby Bear these days? Not much. She is so integrated into my life that she basically is my whole day. People don't really ask me how I'm doing these days. It doesn't bother me. I don't have much going on, so even if they ask, my response would be short and boring.

I was listening though...People were talking about their jobs, their marriages, their friends, their schooling, trips that they took or were going to take, moving plans, future plans, etc. I felt I had nothing of value to add to the conversation. So I just listened.

I guess that's just what I do best. So forgive me if I don't have much to say, but I'll definitely be waiting to hear what you have to say.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

youre fine!! i had a great time hanging out and talking with you!

... and we only talked about our babies 50% of the time ... ok maybe 75%, but thats bc they were both right there! haha

Anonymous said...

Whoa. Still so weird that you are a mom. What happened to those summer days full of PV Transit and icy pools?