I was at one of my favorite stores today and after toting around two kids and returning the cart, I ran into one of my former students. He was an employee there and he was running around picking up the floating carts in the lot.
He actually approached me first and started to say, "Are you...", but I interrupted him with "Hey! How are you?!" I think he thought I wouldn't recognize him, but of course, I did.
I remember him being one of the students who would sit in my class with this serious glower on his face and I was sure he was just counting down the minutes till he could be free of the tortures of Biology.
But now, he had the biggest smile on his face and was talking to me about how things were going for him lately. He even asked me how I was doing.
It's just nice to see my students being grown ups rather than ridden with teenage angst.
Encounters like these happen all the time. I just happen to live close enough to where I taught that I happen to run into my former students quite often. So far I haven't had any encounters where the student cusses me out and tells me how I failed them. So far they've all been pleasant. I hope it stays that way.
2 comments:
that's pretty cool. the only time i encounter my old work is when it breaks...usually at 3am in the morning. glad you are making it out every once in a while.
That's really nice! My first class of first graders are "graduating" fifth graders. It's neat to see how they have and have not changed in 5 years. How time flies!
Post a Comment