I keep telling myself that college really wasn't that long ago, and high school was just before that...but this week, I'm realizing more and more just how far that gap stretches...if not in years, then in maturity and life experience.
It's VBS again this week. Once again I've taken on a role much larger than I should have. I'm in charge of the crafts center, so I get the privilege of seeing all the kids (all 120 of them) in my little classroom throughout the day. It makes me miss teaching (a little).
I also have the privilege of working with a small staff mostly comprised of junior high and high school students. Today I had to have a little "discussion" with them about their conduct (standing in the back chatting instead of helping, flirting with the other helpers, riling up the kids). I still have that "strict teacher" in me, because the moment I ushered that last kindergartner out of classroom (with a smile), I shut the door and turned on my staff (with a frown). I remember saying things like, "you're here to help the kids, not help yourselves" and "whether you know it or not, these kids are looking to you as examples, and they sure are following it!" I believe I even threw in "I know it's fun to hang out with your friends, but I shouldn't be the only person working in this room!"
But I know the reason why I have so many of the junior high and high schoolers under my wing...it's because the people in charge knew that I wouldn't be afraid to just tell them straight out if they were erring on the side of unhelpful. It's my job to be the grown-up in that classroom. And although it's not always the fun job, it's important...
Even when I was teaching Biology, I knew that I wouldn't just be teaching about organ systems and plant life. I knew that a bulk of it would be teaching manners, study skills and even proper socialization. As this week goes, I know that I'm not just telling the K-6th graders how to put together a beaded necklace, I'm also teaching them about working together as well as re-emphasizing some great Bible Stories. Through the midst of it I'm also teaching some young adults that sometimes it's just not fun being the grown up, but somebody has to do it.
4 comments:
it's OK, i work with engineers who are almost all older than me and i have to tell them when they are acting like 5 year olds sometimes still. ;-)
It's good you spoke up and that you're not afraid to do so. Kids (the junior high and high school ones) need to be told what to do still, even though they think they're grown up.
Nice job laying the smackdown! I know that God put you there for a reason, and I'm sure doing His work. In the long run, who knows? No kid may remember the craft he made, but someone from your staff could have been touched! I know sometimes the littlest things that people have said have had a huge impact on me!
Hats off to all you teachers, whether it be in High School or VBS. I know I don't have the patience that you do. I would probably start crying when things got out of hand.
Post a Comment