There is this imaginary line that crosses social behaviors in our lives. It's the boundary that separates appropriate and inappropriate. It's the difference between information and "too-much-information." As we walk through life we learn to balance our lives to be somewhere near the line...but not overstepping.
Kids grow up and they slowly learn where that line is drawn. Although as I watch Chipmunk, I see him jumping way across the line a bit too often.
A few months ago we went to story time at the library. He sat on the carpet and waited. Then another little boy pulled his mother over and sat right in front of Chipmunk. My little Chipmunk could have just scooted a bit, but instead said, "Excuse me, could you move please? You're too big and I can't see." The lady kindly apologized and moved over.
He has an odd fascination for zombies. I had to beg him to not talk about zombies during Sunday School. And poop. He has an odd fascination for poop. I had to beg him not to talk about poop in Sunday School...or dinner...or with his great grandma.
A truck blocked our driveway. We parked across the street and walked home, all the while Chipmunk was voicing his opinion...loudly. "It is not nice to park in front of someone else's driveway. We can't even get into the garage! They should move somewhere else!" And yes, everyone heard...
He has blunt opinions about people around him. "Mommy, you should wear makeup so you won't look so ugly."
Of course, his bluntness also means, that when he says he likes something, he means it. His uncle made a strawberry-rhubarb pie one day and Chipmunk took a bite and said, "Wow, how did you make it taste so yummy!"
So as a parent, I've been trying to figure out whether or not I should teach him to filter his words...and then I wonder, even if I teach him to filter, will he? Is he just naturally a blunt and honest person? And then I reflect, do I filter my own words too much? Am I too concerned with stepping on others' toes?
See. The constant battle with the line. To filter or not to filter...that is the question...
No comments:
Post a Comment